Monday, June 18, 2007

Regaining My Humour

I won't lie and say that the past few months have been easy for me, so for the last week I have been turning back to an old friend for some help through the Emo moments. Comedy, Comedy, how I thee, let me count the ways. I've recently been editing some comedy sketches for a friend and it has inspired me to do some "research". Derek and I rented SNL's Best of Jimmy Fallon and Mike Myers, and I have been is stitches re-watching these brilliant mixes of writing and talented comedians.

When I was just out of high school, a group of us used to watch Saturday Night Live religiously every week. Going back to it I didn't realize how much I missed it, and how much laughing is a necessary outlet. Don't get me wrong, obviously I've still had South Park (for which I blame Derek!), but now that I've been studying up, I can't help but have a bit more respect for shows that consistently roll out the laughs.

There is something remarkable about those who are born with the gift of "funny". It takes a a lot more work then we you would think to turn a natural adeptness at humour into a character that is not only relatable, but situationally funny. The expression that I've heard tossed around is "Writing comedy is a bitch". Obviously I don't struggle with the bitch part (haha) but when it comes to the funny I only hope that I have something to bring to the table.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ashley Watson said...

I definitley agree that laughter is an important and vital "release" one should experience as much as possible. I feel it is something people tend to overlook, and is somewhat underated. As far as what you have to bring to the table, you make me laugh more than ANY other female friend I have. You have a huge gift my friend! Legitimate humor, there is a difference between people who are funny, and people who think they are funny.

ps. why am I not on your list of blogs either??? ;)

9:30 AM  
Blogger The Kyle Show said...

Wicked.
Writing comedy is a bitch, and I know even comedy writers will agree. You never know whether its funny or not until you see your audience laughing...or grimacing.

Very good post, I dunno why I didnt see this earlier.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home