Tuesday, June 12, 2007

It Is Not Fair!

Ok, Petulant hormonal teenager? Not quite. I was thinking today as I was watching Grey's Anatomy obsessively (if not compulsively) that the tactics they are using to hook me (and hook me they have) are a bit unfair. Obviously I realize that this is the entertainment industry and that the word fair holds about as much merit as Paris Hilton's "medical condition" (I know, I know).

Seriously though, they take you into this hospital and throw you into a situation where any number of tumors are affecting no name actors that begin to look surprisingly like your loved ones. So they get you all emotional, trying to decide whether your father needs the surgery to stop the anyeurism (how the heck do you spell that) or whether he should just live out his life in peace, and then, THEN they throw on you the personal problems of the people who are trying to save your father's life. This just isn't fair. My mind makes a natural equation between the life and death situation of the patient and the non-life and death relationship between the intern and her boyfriend/boss. It amps up the stakes, and I equate that. That way, even if the patient lives, if the relationship dies I am devastated.

In a way I suppose it is brilliant, but it also seems a little cheap. Don't get me wrong, if this was my show I would use any tactic I could to keep people watching but there are only so many brain tumors (not to mention breakups) that I can take before my spirit is inoperable. Broken. Also, I don't mind a good'n'tearful episode that makes me cry on occasion. Occasion being the key word, however, lately it's been every other episode. Perhaps this is dulled when you watch it week by week on the cable circuits, but I am on overload watching it on DVD. I need a break. Any recommendations?

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

My whole problem with Grey's was always that it's not really about the medical problems (not in the same way that ER or House at least), which leaves us with these crappy, petulant, stupid people who happen to be doctors (and really, who in their right mind would put their life in the hands of these doctors? I mean really?). Guess it strained my ability to suspend disbelief.

As to what you should watch...

Catch up on BSG, start Deadwood / The Wire, pick up Extras, or go back in time and try to get a copy of Freaks & Geeks or Sports Night.

Just some suggestions of the top of my head...

Oh, and I'm hurt that you don't have my blog linked...what's up with that?

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You told me you like comments (hint? hee) so here's a question: How facetious vs. sincere are you being in this post?

This is dramatic television, and I submit that if the screenplay and production are able to move a viewer to such wrenching emotion then they've made a laudable achievement! Are you implying that you're going to water down your work for the mercy of your fragile viewership? :)

Insofar as Peter's remark, of course he's exactly right: Grey's is not a medical drama, but rather a soap opera. The hospital just provides a premise and a venue. (And arguably House is barely more a medical show than Grey's, though its social texture is less "girly" and more "gritty".) But this is all probably okay; if we were truly more interested in medicine we'd probably choose to watch Discovery Channel or something anyway. :)

-b

6:39 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

In response to your question Ben, I believe I answered that in my post:

"Don't get me wrong, if this was my show I would use any tactic I could to keep people watching"

no, I am not being facetious, though I will likely not water down so much as I will try to find another intelligent hook that involves less emotion wrenching, because after a while that sort of repetitive yo-yo tension decreases my enjoyment of a show.

Agreed with the idea that Grey's is a soap opera, though much more enticing than Days of Our Lives or any such nonsense. I am merely making a statement on what makes or breaks it for me personally.

Perhaps it is just my mood. ;-)

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home