Sunday, June 10, 2007

Return.

So I was offered a subtle hint that I should begin blogging again...and by subtle I mean direct, and by hint I mean blatant remark. Therefore, since I'm a total conformist (if you jump, I'll jump) I decided I'd better get on that. I suppose it's not that I have nothing to say, and it's most DEFINITELY not that I've been deferring to Facebook...right. I just feel uninteresting. I love writing my thoughts - I think they're interesting but I have a strong inkling that if I was anyone other than myself I would be uninterested and probably in a state of dislike towards myself. Anyhow, I digress.
So this return to blogging entry, what should it consist of I wonder? I suppose I could discuss the five weeks Derek recently spent exiled in Edmonton, or the addition to our circle of existence the BEAUTIFUL new vehicle that is our new Dodge Caliber, but I seem to have just done that. And that is about all the rehashing I can stomach at this point.

Therefore I will ease back into the blogosphere with a discussion of media, the OTHER love of my life. Here's what I've been taking in lately.

Music: With Derek gone for so long, my recent selections have been decidedly Emo.

"Some Surprise" Reindeer Section feat. Gary Lightbody and Lisa Hannigan
"Samson" Regina Spektor
"My Number" Tegan and Sara
"4:35 AM" Gemma Hayes
"One More Night (Your Ex-Lover Remains Dead)" The Stars
"Jezebel" Iron and Wine
"Sometimes (I Wish)" City and Colour
"Doctor Blind" Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton
"Blankest Year" Nada Surf

Television:

"Grey's Anatomy" Not necessarily because it's the best written show I've ever witnessed, but the girl in me became intrinsically attached to the characters and their general happiness within the first episode, and you have to at least give credit for that, non?

"Veronica Mars" This one enticed me right away, though I was more impressed with the beginning of Season 1 than the end. I am happy to have seen it, and will likely continue with the second season once I decide to spend the money on the DVD's.

Movies:

The Queen:
Gets top rating, I was pleasantly surprised by this one, definitely worth the watch.

The Illlusionist:


The Prestige:
I am curious to hear which one of these you all preferred, I was much more drawn in by "The Illusionist" though I think it's a personality thing.

Pirates 3: BOOOO, except for Johnny Depp.

TO SEE:
-Knocked Up

Books:

"Wicked" by Gregory Maguire
I am almost finished this and I was thrilled with the read. I will be picking up his others in great anticipation!!

Graphic Novels/Comics:

"Y the Last Man" This one features art by a local Vancouver-ite. I've only gotten through the first trade, and am still a bit on the fence over the story. I think it has earned a second trade before judgement.

"Buffy: Season Eight" As a fan of the show, I am SO pleased with the consistency of the characters, it's as though I'm watching the show in my mind as I read, although I find my lack of experience with the medium of graphic novels is slowing my comprehension down somewhat.

That's about it for now. Happy Sunday to you all.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Buffy

It's not just you.

Whedon's pulling out some weird panel layouts and yeah, even some veteran comics readers are scratching their heads a bit.

You may be tickled to hear that Buffy #6-9 will be written by the guy who writes Y THE LAST MAN (personally, I don't care for Y but the artist is a total sweetheart). It's an arc about Faith.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Yay! You're back! Now keep on trucking (and get off that facebook crack...that shit's bad for you)!

Can't stand Grey's but they have some talented writers. I can send you a Grey's script if you like (think it's the second season finale). I'm curious to see what happens now that Isaih Washington's contract wasn't renewed...

Veronica Mars started off with a bang and then got progressively worse as time went on. Too many meddlesome exec types trying to turn it into a "hit." Rob Thomas is speaking at Banff this year, I would've really liked to have been able to hear what he had to say.

I can understand why The Queen got such good reviews. I think it's put together well, and the acting was top notch, but it bored me to tears (I never understood the fascination with the Royals or with Di). Think I turned it off half way through.

I thought that The Prestige was far superior to The Illusionist. The Illusionist was a very hum drum, easy to predict mystery, whereas Prestige just blew my socks off (I can send you a copy of The Prestige as well if you like).

Pirates sucked ass, but Knocked Up is good enough to make you forget.

Good Nun work today. I'm thinking I'll probably fire off some preliminary sketches to you in the next couple of days.

When do you want to get together next, boss?

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home