Sunday, June 17, 2007

Master Re-Creator

Last night Derek and I watched King Arthur, one of the many Jerry Bruckheimer creations. Or should I say re-creations. Though this was my first viewing of this particular movie I had this sneaky sensation throughout that I had seen it all before. This got me to thinking that perhaps some blockbuster movies are not all that different from major pop songs. Just a different take on another man's genius. The big name record industry producers get paid top dollar to recreate the next Avril Lavigne song, which, if you play it over the first is almost indistinguishable. Perhaps Jerry draws his inspiration from that?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that there are no original ideas. But that shouldn't stop you from creating original dialogue, or characters, or even progression of scenes. I just couldn't help thinking of Braveheart during this movie. Except in this one it was British knights screaming "RAAAAAAAAAA" instead of Mel and his cohorts calling for Freedom. Clearly I didn't mind since one of those knights happened to be Clive Owen playing a very rugged and commanding King Arthur...but I didn't have the same emotional attachment that I did the first time I watched one of these movies.

Obviously Jerry is no slouch, and manages to create some spectacular visuals and always seems to secure a top budget, but it is clear that originality, or even a valid attempt at such is not his top priority.

Blockbusters away!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bruckheimer is a cookie-cutting guy who paints with car chases, over-saturated colours, ridiculously improbable technology. Evidently his formula is a money-maker, though!

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home