Thursday, June 14, 2007

Whether You Like It or Not

Ok, anyone who jumped out of bed this morning and said "today is a beautiful day to spend $600 on my car" raise your hand. No? Funny, me neither, but that didn't stop it from happening. Nor did it stop the mechanic from calling after the majority of work had been done to advise me that the engine is on its last legs (or its last cylinders, to be precise) and that I shouldn't pour much more money into it. Great timing, really, thank you. But it happened.

You know what else is happening? We're getting older! And so are our movies. Derek and I watched American Pie after class tonight. I was looking at the clothes they were wearing and the computers they were using, and I couldn't help but think, WOW this is old. Which coincidentally enough led me to the conclusion, WOW, I'm getting old. When does the poster movie for your generation become the new generations "Ew, that was SO late-90's!" We all think that a movie as coming-of-age as this will never go out of style, but I think it does. At least in terms of fashion sense, technology, and even color and quality. Granted it was no Titanic in terms of budget, however it was also obvious that they didn't have the same sense of style that we use in today's teen-comedic-romances. The whites of the actors eyes were really shiny, as were their foreheads. The colors were really saturated and dark. It seemed very...yesterday. And yet watching it, I still laughed as much as I did the first time.

I suppose I'm not coming to any conclusions except to acknowledge the scary fact that my teen-movie will eventually become The Breakfast Club to a new generation, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Getting older sucks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

The Breakfast Club is way better than American Pie.

Damn I'm old.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction today whilst watching the first four episodes of Buffy.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home