Monday, July 04, 2005

News... and a little Kant

My Mom and Dad left this morning and I feel tired and empty. Part of the tiredness was the busy weekend, long wedding, and lack of sleep, and part is thinking about the future. I have set a last day of August 12, tentatively. That means I have 6 more weeks left of work, and 8 weeks until I move. 8 weeks. Then Derek and I will be separated for a month or two while he stays to make some more money before joining me out at the coast. I am not looking forward to that. I have already decided that I will be getting a serving job and working like a mad woman for those weeks, hopefully making enough to pay my debts and get a place of my own before starting school. This just seems like such a monstrous task, and yet I have the time that I need to pack and prepare, I will have two solid weeks off work before I go, and my mom is coming back the last week of August to help me prepare and stay sane.

My dad left "A Generous Orthodoxy" for me to read, and I gave him my copy of "The Poisonwood Bible" for his birthday. I hadn't finished it yet, but I was on hiatus from it, so now I will just have to buy a new one and get back into it. I made the mistake of going into the philosophy section of Chapters on the weekend (I had no choice - I was picking out a gift for Derek) and began to drool all over all the pretty books. Fortunately no one caught me, so I didn't have to pay for all the drool covered books. I wanted to buy Keirkegard, Nietchze, Emerson, and so many more.... Even though whenever I read them, I feel like an idiot because I have to have my "Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms" right by my side and even my crappy Webster's dictionary is put to hardcore use.

I was reading "Prologemma on the Future of Metaphysics" by Kant. I LOVE some of his ideas. I mean, I don't know what to think about them, but I love them. The idea that everything we know, all of our scientific theories and mathematical and physical facts that have been determined are only absolute under the parameters of what our minds can grasp, is such a fascinating concept to me. The way we measure time in minutes and seconds is a condition of our limited mental capacity and not necessarily the way that time actually passes. Some minutes are longer or shorter, but when limited by the necessity of our minds to quantify and measure our existence, they are actually all the same length of time. So which is more important? The actual feeling of how long each minute takes, experientially? Or the quantifiable 60 seconds that we know a minute "really" takes? Which takes precedence? It seems only when faced with crisis or exceptional circumstances can our mind move beside the physical parameters that we place upon our existence..... Ok now I'm rambling....Sorry.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

No more wine and cheap cuban cigars for you.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Ahh yes, there's nothing better than giving away an old copy of a book as a gift and buying a new copy for yourself. I've neeeeeeever done thaaaaat (that was my attempt at portraying sarcasm in print...yeah!).

Good to see we have another enlightened type. Just make sure Ali doesn't hear about you wanting to buy books from Chapters as they are the spawn of Satan.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home