Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Catching Up

So my parents are coming today, and I have to admit, I'm like a kid at Christmas. I am SO excited. I think they are getting here at about 4:30 and stopping by my office. The thing that makes me even more excited is that Derek is also very excited to see them. Now, I already knew that there was mutual adoration between him and my parents (I think I've actually been bumped to the outer ring since they've practically adopted him) but he is really looking forward to seeing them. This makes my heart sing. I don't think I could stand it if there was animosity, dislike, or dissaproval on any side of the equation. We are going out for dinner tonight, and there will be the momentous "merging of the families" as both sets of parents will go out for dinner on Sunday night for his birthday. Many prayers please....just kidding, it should be great!

So Mackenzie got baptised, and I must say I was surprised yet again by the enthusiasm that can be so contagious even within a group of 12 people. We clapped and cheered as he came out of the water and reigned down smiles abundant on him as we encouraged and congratulated him. It was great, because although there was music and worship and painting and speaking, the real focal point for me was celebrating Mackenzie. Which was good, because whenever Chuck and I play together we seem to bring the curse of have an amazing practice and losing the fire in the actual worship. I don't know if it's nerves, or just the fact that muscians tend to be spontaneous people who have bursts of passion, and that comes and goes during our practice, but we gotta shake the curse! Despite the fact that it's not a show, it's still frustrating to hear yourselves losing momentum. Either way, it was a blast to play together again, and incorporate some new instruments and styles into the mix. It was also really nice to finally meet the famous Paul Seburn, who's blog you can get to via Chuck, Matt or Erika's blogs.

As for the surprise party (Matt's book launch hoax) it went fairly well. I will never again use such a viable excuse because I had more than one person actually dissapointed in the lack of book launch party, and one who actually got upset with me. Which, when you've put a lot of work into a party, doesn't help the stress level. But either way, everyone seemed to have a good time, other than a few tense moments of family poker, however the situation was resolved before it came to blows, and I was able to come back inside from my hideout on the porch. I was surprised that we actually fit 12-15 people in my small basement suite without to much chlosterphobia or panicking. HUGE AMOUNTS of Gratitude to Erika, without who's help I would still be fighting the straightjacket. But Derek had fun and that's the most important thing.
So anyways it's done, and my house is cleaner than it has been since I moved in (I LOVE you Erika) and now I get to start thinking about moving. But not this week. This week it's family. And Grace. I'm still thinking about Grace.

Grace in the church. Grace in the office. Grace at the poker table. Grace when dealing with the waiter who gets my order wrong 3 times. Grace when the photocopier breaks. Grace when somebody makes me feel 3 inches tall. Grace when nobody understands my point. Grace when it hurts. Grace when it doesn't. Grace.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chuck said...

Grace with me, Grace before me, Grace behind me,
Grace in me, Grace beneath me, Grace above me,
Grace on my right, Grace on my left,
Grace when I lie down, Grace when I sit down, Grace when I arise,
Grace in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Grace in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Grace in every eye that sees me,
Grace in every ear that hears me.


Granted, I took some liberties but it's an interesting thought to interchange Christ with Grace.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Erika said...

I love you too, Rachel. You're one sweet chick - if a little messy. ::smiles and hugs::

I'm so glad your parents could come up - I hope you have a marvelous time.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Hey, say hi to your parents for me. So is your dad still pastor gerry? Oh, I have Derek's Bday pics back if you want a copy. I have a good shot of him first coming in to your plcae and seeing all of us.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home