Monday, October 16, 2006

Television, catching up to the Silver Screen?

TV verses movies. Right now I'm leaning towards TV. Perhaps this is because I'm moving from hit show to hit show, trying to catch up on the past 3 years where I was apparently living in a small hole on a desert island (or perhaps addicted to survivor and renovation shows?) The writing for some of these shows is absolutely phenomenal!!

Right now my top three are:

1. The West Wing (yes I'm only on season 2 - no spoilers please!!)
2. Lost (again - only on season 2, but Jack - seriously, move over Party of Five!)
3. Scrubs (I guess a metro-sexual Zach Braff just does something for me - plus I saw Dr. Cox in person - YUM!)

Honourable mention: Firefly. Unfortunately it was ruined by Fox, and will likely never air again, but it still gets my recognition. You really can't argue with "The Joss" as I have recently heard him called.


I find myself going to fewer and fewer movies, and watching more and more TV. I think this has to do partly with the increasingly witty writing that is primetime television, more than the less and less interesting movies that are being released. I wonder if we are just in a dry spell this year for original movies, with the occasional ray of "Little Miss Sunshine" or if their are just fewer original ideas left. Maybe it's that people aren't as easily impressed by effects now a days and so we are going through a new learning curve of how to write more intelligently for the big screen.

Either way, at least I still have something to be entertained by. Perhaps my first screenplay will be the start of a new era of intelligent writing for film.... but seriously, I am the same person who has left her gas cap at the pump more than once, so let's not have too high of expectations here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home