Monday, May 09, 2005

Making Ends Meat

That's what I used to think was the correct meaning of the phrase "Making Ends Meet" I thought that Ends Meat was a way of saying that you have enough meat to feed your family. I didn't know who Ends was, or if maybe that was the hind end of the meat because that's all you could afford... but that's what I thought.

I am really beginning to panic about these weddings. Not the weddings themselves, but for every wedding there is at LEAST one shower, sometimes two. I have already been invited to two showers over the next couple weeks, and there is just NO possible way that I can make my paycheck stretch that far. I don't even want to go in with anybody, because my $5 contribution is not going to make any difference, except to embarass me to give it. Ahhh Pride.... I am still recovering from our trip to BC, with a little help from some wonderful people! ;-)
It doesn't seem like a big deal to the casual onlooker but it's really a rock and a hard place to me. These girls are my friends - I am SO excited for them and I WANT to celevrate with them, but I don't want to be the one showing up to the lingerie shower with a Wal-Mart thong that's been marked down 3 times, or with a candle from the dollar store. I also don't want to decline invitations because I can't seem to keep money in my bank account.

It's a very difficult thing to swallow your pride, show up with what you can afford, sit there and watch all the elaborate gifts pour in, and be comfortable knowing that you did what you could. I know this is a lot of what I am putting on myself, and it's probably a stupid thing to blog about, but it's what's on my mind, and you don't have to read it if it's boring. But still leave comments!!!!

Until the next crisis....

2 Comments:

Blogger Chuck said...

I feel your pain Rach and I wish things were different. Having been married once myself I know what it's like from the other side. You may not believe this but other than a couple of specific gifts I can't remember who gave us what. Not only that but after opening the 23rd picture frame wrapped in the 56th towel I started to really appreciate the smaller gifts that people actually thought about. I think my favorite gift was a soap dish with little floating duckies...oh, they're so cute with the floating and swirling...quack, quack, quack they say...ahemmm, sorry about that.

Anywho, I think most young couples are reasonable enough to realize that other youngin's don't have the cash flow and to leave the bigger gifts to the bigger fish. I hope.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Erika said...

::hugs to Rachel::

Good blog - we've got the same pressure. Why does everyone have to get married at the same time!

Don't let it freak you out - give cards (homemade are best!).

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home