Monday, May 02, 2005

That kind of faith!

Let me begin by saying we have experienced a MASSIVE answer to prayer. Derek has been accepted upon his FIRST interview to the film program at BCIT in Burnaby. He will start classes in November with his very own G4 Powerbook Mac laptop and a top of the line digital video camera as part of his tuition. We will be moving out there in the early fall, providing that the funding all comes through. If anybody has any knowledge of government grants or scholarships - please let us know. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night I was reading in Acts chapter 3 about Peter healing the lame man. It really struck me, probably even more so than the miracles that Christ performed. (If that's not too blasphemous) It's partly because I fully realize Christ's divinity. I know that he had the power to heal and cast out demons. But mostly it was Peter's enormous faith that got me really thinking. If you read in verses 6 and 7 it describes how Peter strolled over to man and told him to get up in the name of Jesus, and he did. There was no doubting, no hesitation. It was as though Peter knew beyond a SHADOW of a DOUBT that this man would be healed by Christ's power through him. That got me to thinking, why can't I have this kind of faith? Did Peter have it because he had witnessed the power of Christ first hand? Or did he just go that deep, surrender that much, that there was no doubt. I started to wonder if I would even want to have God heal someone through me. What a media scandal that would be. Now I understand why Jesus said "alright you're all healed, but keep quiet about it would ya?" (Not in those exact terms of course) Either way, reading about Peters utter confidence in the power of his Lord and his vehemance in making sure the people knew that the power was not his was inspiring.

Derek and I went to Millwood's Pentecostal's Young Adult service last night. It was the first time we have gone to a service together in Edmonton since we have stopped attending Sol. I didn't expect it to be that hard. There was this lingering feeling that we were betraying something that we loved and turning our back on something that we had strived for. The worship was great. The band was really tight and yet their lack of contrived emotion was refreshing (especially in a Pentecostal church :-) no scathing comments please) The service focused on practicing consistant compassion without media motivation, and while it was not quite the meat and potatoes that we were looking for, it was presented in an open and direct manner, that was lacking a hidden agenda. We enjoyed the candor of the speaker, but still came away with mixed feelings. I think this is just part of our healing process.

Anyway I better post this before my boss gets back.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chuck said...

Good to have you back Rach. I'm glad you guys are attempting to work through this pain and that you went to a service. I know exactly what you mean about the guilt of leaving something that we all worked on and feelings of leaving something that was that important for such a long time. But hey, at least you guys get to run off to BC and leave all your troubles behind...

"But what about..." Rach interupts.
"All your troubles behind."

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Refreshing! I love that word - we are such wonderfully diverse human beings and we sometimes get stuck in a certain way of worshiping or doing things. I was very fortunate to worship with the South Side Pentocostotal Church for awhile. I learned and grew so much. Never be afraid!! Rachel have a fabulous time in BC.
my love to you and Derek and may miracles be a daily adventure.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

I like your comments anonymous - but who are you? I get so curious I just have to know! :-)

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi rach, congradulations to you and derek, although you guys will be terribly missed, unlike fred;-) So, who's going to win Survivor? Call me sometime when you're free for coffee.
Amanda

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just forgot to sign my name - it was Shirley - I love you so much and will miss you!!! I just don't have a journal.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Erika said...

Three cheers for BC! I'm so excited for you guys.

::hugs::

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel,
It's a delight to hear that your plans are working out! I'm pretty excited for Derek's acceptance into film school. Hoping you guys can find great places to live. You planning any more trips out to BC before the fall?

Here are a few websites I dug up that may have some scholarship info for you. http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/careers/planning/educate/finance.htm, http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/awards/, http://www.bcit.ca/finaid/awards.shtml.

Looking forward to seeing you on Monday night.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I'm so excited for you guys. I can't wait to come visit you in BC. I use to love worship at Young Adults. I know what you mean about the message. I found it like that too sometimes. Sometimes it was good and sometimes I didn't like it at all but I'm glad you guys went. Just so you can try another church and find somewhere you like. I hope you find a church soon. Guess what, I'm going to Romania in 54 more days YEAH!!! I can't wait. I'm only there for 9 days but still its going to be good. AND I'll be home in 99 days (if I don't go to Ohio first) I can't wait!! Is that a bad thing?? I like it here but I just miss everyone at home. Anyways, it was so nice to talk to you last week. I'm really glad you guys are doing so well. I miss you!!
Alyssa

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home